It’s almost that time of the year! Almost every homeowner’s favorite season is spring, not just because of the fresh, warm weather or the blossoming flowers and trees or even because the sun has finally decided to return into our lives. No, homeowners love spring because of the endless home-cleaning opportunities!
Okay, maybe that isn’t so accurate. However, we all are well aware of the importance of deep cleaning our homes, even if it is only once a year. Spring cleaning gives us an opportunity to clean the spaces in our homes that aren’t treated on a daily or weekly basis. Tending to these neglected areas improves your living space while also maintaining the value of your home!
Just for the occasion, we’ve put together a room-by-room guide to make sure you don’t leave anything out during your journey through spring cleaning!
1. This, along with every room, should begin with de-cluttering the space. Throw away unnecessary paper, mail, items in your fridge or pantry, and organize the items on your countertops and in your cabinets.
2. Many of the surfaces in your kitchen such as the inside of your oven, sink drain, countertops, and inside of the microwave can be cleaned with solutions made of water, vinegar, and baking soda.
3. Vacuum and dust spaces behind the refrigerator, baseboards, and other appliances that may be pushed up against walls. Be sure to vacuum the coils to prevent dust build-up, which can cause over-heating!
4. Use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to remove the cooked-on gunk from your stovetop.
5. Clean light fixtures with a microfiber cloth. Add a little vinegar for grimy bulbs.
6. Don’t forget the dishwasher! Pour some vinegar into the soap dispensing dish and run a full cycle!
The Living Room
2. Spring is the perfect time to get your carpets cleaned to improve the look of your home! Whether you get them done professionally or rent or buy your own deep cleaner, freshly cleaned carpets will also improve the health of the people who live there. Be sure to get behind and under all furniture!
3. Spot clean and dust walls, shades, curtains, lamps, ceiling fan blades, and blinds and wipe down baseboards.
4. Wipe down furniture, keeping in mind that different techniques should be used for different fabrics.
5. Wash windows with glass cleaner. It’s best to do so during a cloudy day in order to prevent streaks and water spots. Remove the dirt and grime in your window and door tracks by using a dry toothbrush and then wiping with a damp cloth.
1. De-clutter! Go through your cabinets, drawers, and vanities and remove any empty or outdated products. Put loose items back where they belong.
2. Wash all towels, washcloths, and floor rugs. Plastic bath mats and shower curtains can be washed also! Put in the washing machine with hot water and add laundry detergent and baking soda.
3. Wipe down and disinfect all areas of contact: doorknobs, light switches, toilet handles, faucet knobs, etc.
4. Wipe and clean mirrors, doors, windows, windowpanes, light fixtures, and air vents.
5. Soak bath/shower items (loofah, etc.) in a solution of 1 part vinegar to one part water for 30 minutes and rinse. Scrub and clean tub, drain, showerheads, and water spouts. (Tip: Showerheads can be cleaned by soaking them in a plastic bag filled with vinegar!)
6. Use vinegar, baking soda, and a toilet cleaning brush to naturally clean your toilet!
1. De-clutter! Organize items so they are all put back in the spaces where they belong.
2. Wipe down corners, ceilings, light fixtures, and fans to get rid of any cobwebs or dust.
3. Dust and clean all items on top of shelves or desks, blinds, and curtains.
4. Strip the bed, wash linens, wipe down bedposts and headboard if needed, remove and wash mattress pad, and flip or rotate the mattress. You can deodorize your mattress by sprinkling baking soda over it, letting it sit for 30 minutes, and then vacuuming up.
5. Spring is also the perfect time to go through your closet and drawers, getting rid of any clothes that you’re not wearing anymore!
Give your home some much needed love this spring! A clean home is a happy home and here at Madison Mutual we want your home to be as happy as possible. For more tips on how to take care of your home, visit us at www.madisonmutual.com!