It may not feel like springtime yet, but pretty soon everyone will be attending the local farmer’s market, throwing backyard BBQ parties, and breaking out the baseball gloves for an impromptu game of catch.
What goes better with BBQ and warmer weather than enjoying some tasty fresh fruits and vegetables? Here are some delectable dishes to make the most of your farmer’s market finds this spring:
For starters, a fresh light salad:
Chopped Caprese Salad
- 16 oz tomatoes, chopped (Any kind will do. We use grape tomatoes, quartered)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Fresh cracked pepper
- In a large salad bowl, toss the chopped tomatoes, cubed mozzarella, and basil until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil vinegar and garlic with a fork. Pour over top of the tomato and mozzarella mixture.
- Season generously with salt and fresh pepper, then toss until the entire mixture is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately, or store covered with a damp paper towel in the refrigerator until ready to serve, no more than a few hours.
A savory side:
Grilled Mexican Corn
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ears corn
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup crema Mexicana
- 6 lime wedges
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 3 ingredients.
- Place corn on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 12 minutes or until corn is lightly browned, turning frequently. Place corn on a platter; drizzle with crema. Sprinkle with chipotle mixture. Garnish with lime wedges.
Now for a sweet ending to a delicious meal!
Grilled Peach Crisp Recipe
|2 tablespoons sugar|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|4 medium peaches, halved and pitted
4 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
1 cup reduced-fat granola
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cut sides of peaches. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using long-handled tons, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place peaches cut side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until peaches are tender and begin to caramelize.
- Place peaches in dessert bowls. Serve with ice cream and granola. Yield: 8 servings.
These recipes are sure to make your next cookout the talk of the neighborhood! The recipe for peace of mind is knowing that your property is protected by Madison Mutual. Call us today at 1-800-766-MMIC, visit us online at www.madisonmutual.com, or feel free to stop by our office!